After a hearty, hearty meal (think of this as my sequel to my “Sinangag” review – and as a matter of fact, this happened right across the street where we had our garlic fried rice debauchery) – what would be the perfect thing to do? A night cap perhaps?

Ah.Coffee.. and then some. Right after a ginormous dinner.

So from where we had our dinner and where our car was parked, I politely asked “Manong” Security guard if I can leave my car where I had parked it since we were just going to be crossing the street from where we were for coffee and he obliged in the affirmative.

The place and the works.

From the outside, it wouldn’t stand a chance really if you compared it with those big-hitter, international cafes and coffee shops.Even if I compared it to our favorite well established local coffee joint, it just wont hold sway. Maybe the years has caught up with it, I really don’t know. I am guessing if you are a local of the area, you would know its history and how this coffee shop started. They had a choice of airconditioned and al-fresco dining. The glass windows had a bit of posters plastered on them – promos and stuff usually. The al-fresco dining area could use a bit of touch up really – new chairs maybe (the ones they had were pretty creaky) and maybe a bit more lighting? The indoors – probably for some it offers old home comfort, especially the regulars. I was not a fan of it lets put it that way. Oh, and another point that may need addressing, the barista/attendant/order taker/cashier – one person. At times he gets caught up with the orders so someone to help him out could be a good idea for the owners.

What we got.

We didn’t really go for the food. We were interested in their drinks. The wifey had their café americano while I being the non-coffee lover that is, got their ripe mango shake.
The café americano, according to the wife, lacked the kick as she aptly puts it. See there will be a point of comparison with other coffee shops because a café americano is a café americano. You expect a bit of semblance in them. We are guessing the beans are the culprit maybe? In a nutshell, she wasn’t too keen about her caffeine fix.

The ripe mango shake on the other hand, well – it wasn’t so ripe. I like my mango shake sweet and bright yellow. And its pretty easy to tell if the mangoes used ina drink has the perfect amount of ripeness or not. This one didn’t score a homerun sad to say.

I always say that introductions don’t normally end up pleasant the first time. It’s always nice to opt for a second chance just in case. Maybe when we come back next time, we would really experience “Bonheur” in the literal way. And by the way, just refer to the title if you’re interested to know what “Bonheur” means in a way we can all relate to. Happy eating!
Taste