If I could eat breakfast food all day, I really would. There's something about the richness, and heartiness in breakfast food that just fills your stomach up and brings a smile to your face.

Thus, it was an obvious 'yes' for me when my food buddy, Nick Castro, asked me if I wanted to try Hatch 22 out.

Honestly, I didn't know what rock I've been hiding under...but I have never heard of Hatch 22 before my first visit! What makes it even more shameful is that I frequent the Powerplant Mall and failed to notice it.

The important thing is, I can now say that finally, I was able to try out.
NYOB
My choice for the night would be the NYOB (Not Your Ordinary Benedicts) (P445). This dish featured freshly baked rustic muffins filled with layers of sauteed wild mushrooms and spinach, and flavored by smoky Italian ham pieces. It was also served with sous vide egg (a cooking style which literally means under vacuum; thus, made the eggs perfectly runny), and a tangy version of the classic hollandaise sauce. I thoroughly enjoyed this dish because all elements simply harmonized; from the texture, to the flavors, everything just worked for this dish.
Son of a Biscuit
On the other hand, Nick ordered the Son of a Biscuit (P470), which featured a generous serving of really heavy biscuits, hominy grits, chipotle, fried chicken fillet and pork sausage to pair it with. The dish was topped with white sausage gravy. I found his order just alright. For starters, it seems too heavy to be consumed by one person. The biscuits were really filling. Aside from this, the chicken had some odd aftertaste to it; while the sausage was just mediocre. I wasn't fan of the grits, but I guess that I'm just not that accustomed to it. This could have been better as a dish to be shared by 3-4 diners; while having separate main orders.

Overall, I don't mind dropping by for another visit to Hatch 22. Its upbeat busy vibe, and quirky dishes would definitely keep you curious and excited.
2014-01-29