Being born from a Chinese dad and a Chinese food-loving mom, I tend to veer away from Chinese or Cantonese restaurants for fear of taste fatigue. However, last night was a special case as I went out with my dad and a few of our family friends.

We were supposed to meet up with a few more people, but since most of us were already hungry, we decided to grab something to eat before hitting the road. Since we were already in Banawe Quezon City, we stopped by at King Chef for some dimsum.
King Chef signage along Banawe Street
It was my first time at King Chef, so I was overwhelmed by the really happy crew who greeted us in. (Yes, he was smiling SO BIG.) He courteously led us to a table on the restaurant's 2nd floor since all of their smaller tables at the ground floor were full. We were just a group of 4, so their table which can sit up to 12 people was too big for us.
Table Setup
We initially planned to just order some dimsum. However, we ended up ordering soup, some viands and a bowl of plain rice. Most of the food items we ordered were recommended by our server. And while waiting, we enjoyed their complimentary peanuts and house tea -- a staple to any Chinese restaurant.
Complimentary Peanuts and House Tea
The servers in King Chef were surprisingly really alert. They fill our teacups even if they're just half empty. And this is something I don't normally see in Chinese or Cantonese restaurants.

After a few minutes, our Seafood with Spinach Soup (P220) was served. The soup's color was a lovely cross between forest and moss green. I like how the Spinach flavor was not too overpowering. I can also feel the seafood bits in the thick soup.
Seafood with Spinach Soup (P220)
Next up was this pork with vegetables dish. I didn't catch the name so I asked our server. He told me that this is their Shanghai Stir-Fry. I looked up for this dish's price, but to no avail, it was not on their menu. I'm not sure though if there is another name this pork dish goes by.
Shanghai Stir-Fry
Anyway, the pork was tender yet a little crispy on the outside. My dad even complimented the way it was cooked, and let me tell you that he's really a tough critic. However, after chewing a few more pork pieces, my dad noticed that it had a weird taste -- those of food nearly spoiling. So we called up their manager's attention and told them about the pork's unpleasant taste. It was nice how they courteously apologized and asked if we want any replacement for the dish. But as much as I loved the Shanghai Stir-Fry, we just opted to have it scratched off from the bill.

I asked my dad if the pork was really bad. He told me that the dish was freshly cooked, but the raw pork was probably not as fresh. For someone with a strong and healthy stomach, eating it would not be a problem. However, for my dad who has a sensitive stomach, it's better not to take any risks.

After the scene we made, we were served their Fish Filet Taosi with Tofu in Hot Pot (P270). This was a really savory dish, the fish filet was perfectly cooked and the sauce was flavorful. I loved eating it with my bowl of rice.
Fish Filet Taosi with Tofu in Hotpot (P270)
We were then served with their bestseller Squid with X.O. Sauce (P290), a slightly spicy take on the perfectly-cooked squid. And I loved it!
Squid with X.O. Sauce (P290)
Our Spareribs with 8 Spices (P280) was served as soon as we started digging in at the tasty squid dish. But I have to say that as much as I love the Squid with X.O. Sauce, I love this spareribs dish even more! The meat was perfectly cooked in a spicy yet flavorful mix of 8 spices. I can't really tell what spices they have used, but I know one thing -- the crispy yet slowly-cooked garlic tasted heavenly! I am not a big garlic eater, but I can munch on these toasted garlic all day.
Spareribs with 8 Spices (P280)
The light merienda we planned turned to a full meal. So still having to hit the road, we skipped dessert and asked for the bill. While the elder ones were busy talking about business, family and their life in general, my eyes were roaming around the place. Judging by the big tables on their 2nd floor, King Chef is probably best suited for diners in big groups -- birthday celebrations, large gathering or simply a nice meal for a big family.

THE VERDICT

Although we hit a bumpy start with the pork dish we returned, it will be unfair not to admit that the food we tried at King Chef were all delicious. All the viands we sampled were not soggy nor hard, they were cooked perfectly and seasoned really well. And how can I forget the tasty Spareribs with 8 Spices which totally blew me away! With food as good as King Chef's and a great service to go along with it, this trip will definitely not be the last.
2011-10-22
₱300 (Dinner)
Squid with XO Sauce, Spareribs with 8 Spices
Taste
Back at King Chef and it's still as good
Always one of the first restaurants to cross our minds when we're looking for a Chinese restaurant t
thetummytrain
2015-04-28
birthday celeb '13
It's our birth month once again. This time we had to meet nearest to the home of our very pregnant f
deoj
2014-03-30
King of all Chefs
We went straight to King Chef after some badminton but we did not want to eat heavy meals. What we
team_aldous